Ferrite Microwave Technologies (FMT) is a leading manufacturer of microwave assisted extraction (MAE) heating systems and technology. The process of microwave assisted extraction offers a unique feature that improves the yield and quality of many biomaterials. The most examples of successfully tested MAE related products include plant protein extraction, oil from tar sands, chitin from seafood waste, and biofuel production. As a result of our merger with Industrial Microwave Systems of North Carolina, FMT now offers capabilities with extraction from solids, liquids, chemicals, and beyond.
MAE: Application & Product Focus
Our focus in microwave assisted extraction is on high value, low volume pumbable biomaterials, nutritional and chemical fluids that are frequently heat and/or shear sensitive, or require enzyme deactivation. Examples of this include fruit and vegetable purees, diced and sliced foods, as well as chemical extractions. For non-sanitary biomaterials and chemicals, we recommend a 2kW or 6kW unit, operating at 2450MHz. However, we’ve also led successful endeavors for commercial MAE heating systems for ionic fluids applications using two 100 kW cylindrical heating systems.
Proven Results with MAE Heating
Microwave Assisted Extraction in-line heating systems have been succesfully applied to a wide range of chemical and industrial process applications. This happens on both our benchtop and commercial systems. Although most processes are confidential to our end users, many have been proven at our in-house testing facility. Products with proven results include:
- Ionic fluids
- Plant extracts
- Chitin extraction
- Polymeric resin heating
- Casings for protein emulsions
- Extraction of oil from tar sands
Microwave Assisted Extraction Systems: Capabilities
Many chemical and industrial formulations require the application of heat to initiate a reaction or change in state to achieve a required end product. IMS microwave heating systems can deliver results that are often impossible to achieve with traditional heating technologies.
Our capabilites for microwave assisted extraction heating include:
- Chemical & Industrial Applications
- Systems for operating frequencies of 2450MHz and 915MHz
- Tubular style applicator from IMS enhances the thermal process
- Benchtop test units (2 to 15 kW) and commercial size (100 kw) units
- MAE experience with biomaterials, plants, chemicals, purees, ionic fluids, and more
- Supporting various processes, including: sterilization, pasteurization, deinfestation, and other formulation processes
Case Studies: Microwave Assisted Extraction Heating
- A New York based company is using an IMS heater for the Microwave Assisted Extraction (MAE) of plant protein cells to maximize yield and product quality of its biopharmaceutical products.
- An Alabama based organization also uses MAE with ionic liquids to maximize the extraction of biochemicals from crustacean waste products.
As the pharmaceutical industry changes from batch production to continuous, IMS CHS technology is expected to play an increasing role in the rapid sterilization of high-value, heat sensitive intravenous and other fluids.
To learn more about IMS & Ferrite’s capabilities and MAE heating technology, please contact our support team.